You can find on this page the Long Island old map to print and to download in PDF. The Long Island historical map and the vintage map of Long Island present the past and evolutions of the city of Long Island in New York - USA.
The Long Island old map shows evolutions of Long Island city. This historical map of Long Island will allow you to travel in the past and in the history of Long Island in New York - USA. The Long Island ancient map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
In the 19th century, Long Island was still mainly rural and agricultural. Suburbanization started modestly on Long Island when reliable steam ferry service allowed prosperous Wall Streeters to get to new Brooklyn Heights homes in time for dinner. Rural traffic was served by the new Brooklyn and Jamaica Plank road through Jamaica Pass, among others. After the American Civil War, streetcar suburbs sprawled out onto the outwash plain of central and southern Kings County as its mentioned in Long Island historical map. Trolleys also brought workers from other parts of western Queens to Long Island City jobs. The Long Island Rail Road was begun as a combined ferry-rail route to Boston via Greenport. The growing and merging railroads opened up more than 50 stations in (present-day) Nassau County and over 40 in Suffolk Country, laying the foundation for the future suburbanization of the island.
From 1830 until 1930, population roughly doubled every twenty years, and several cities were incorporated, such as the City of Brooklyn in Kings County, and Long Island City in Queens. By the late 19th century, Long Island had become a summer refuge for residents of New York City. The Landing, in Glen Cove, is named for the spot where 19th century steam ship lines would disembark summer visitors, not far from where J. P. Morgan had his summer mansion. Long Island was the home of a branch of the prominent Roosevelt family, including author Robert Roosevelt, and his more famous nephew, President Theodore Roosevelt, who built a summer home at Sagamore Hill on the North Shore of Nassau County - on the outskirts of Oyster Bay as you can see in Long Island historical map. Roosevelt Field was named after Quentin Roosevelt, Theodore son.
New York and Long Island kept slavery until it was outlawed in 1799, with remnants remaining until 1827. Most freedpeople settled near where they had been living and had connections. Until the 1883 completion of the Brooklyn Bridge, the only connection between Long Island and the rest of the United States was by boat. Other bridges and tunnels followed, and a suburban character spread as population increased. On January 1, 1898, Kings County and portions of Queens were consolidated into The City of Greater New York, abolishing all cities and towns within them as its shown in Long Island historical map. The easternmost 280 square miles (725 km2) of Queens County, which were not part of the consolidation plan, formed a separate county in 1899. "Nassau", one of several names by which the island was once known, was revived to represent the newly established county.
The Long Island vintage map give a unique insight into the history and evolution of Long Island city. This vintage map of Long Island with its antique style will allow you to travel in the past of Long Island in New York - USA. The Long Island vintage map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
At the time of European contact, the Lenape people (named the Delaware by Europeans) inhabited the western end of the Island, and spoke the Munsee dialect of the Algonquian language family. Giovanni da Verrazzano was the first European to record an encounter with these people when he entered what is now New York Bay in 1524. The eastern portion of the island was inhabited by speakers of the Mohegan-Montauk-Narragansett language group of the same linguistic family as its mentioned in Long Island vintage map, representing their ties to the aboriginal peoples inhabiting what is now Connecticut and Rhode Island. The area was central to the production of Wampum, providing the resources necessary for its creation.
Decades after the decline in population of Native American on Long Island, amateur anthropologist Silas Wood published a book claiming that there had been several tribes traditional to Long Island; he collectively called them the Metoac. Modern scientific scholarship has shown that there were two linguistic groups representing two cultural identities on the island, as noted above, not "13 tribes" as asserted by Wood as you can see in Long Island vintage map. The Montaukett and Shinnecock nations, two Native American groups with ties to aboriginal inhabitants, still live on the island. A Native American name for Long Island is Paumanok, meaning "The Island that Pays Tribute". More powerful tribes in the surrounding areas forced the relatively peaceful Long Islanders to give tributes and payment to avoid attacks.
The western portion of Long Island was settled by the Dutch, who named it Lange Eylant as its shown in Long Island vintage map. They also had early settlements in the 1600s on what are now Manhattan and Staten Island. On April 22, 1636 Charles I of England told that the Plymouth Colony which had laid claim to the island but had not settled it give the island to William Alexander. Alexander through his agent James Farret (who personally received Shelter Island and Robins Island) in turn sold most of the eastern island to the New Haven and Connecticut colonies. Lion Gardiner was the first English settler as he settled on Gardiners Island in 1637. Puritans from New Haven, Connecticut, arrived in present-day Southold on October 21, 1640.